Whitman County Gazette - Serving Whitman County since 1877

Good Old Days: August 20, 2020


August 20, 2020

125 years ago

The Commoner

August 16, 1895

O. McAdams, the O.R.&N. Section foreman at Suttons, was brought to St. Ignatius hospital on Thursday, suffering from severe injuries inflicted on him in an assault made by tramps on Sunday.

Mrs. McAdams was in the city on Wednesday making arrangements for his transfer to the hospital here. While in the city she gave the following account of the assault upon her husband.

Sunday Mr. McAdams left home at the section house and walked to Winona. He made the trip for the purpose of having his check for wages cashed and to get some groceries. Just after noon, having accomplished his mission, and carrying his purchases, Mr. McAdams started for home. Evidently he had suspected that some danger threeatened from the presence of idle tramps, and he placed his money and watch in his boot leg. People at Winona saw him walking down the railroad track toward Sutton. He did not arrive home, however, and on Monday afternoon, twenty-four hours later, a resident of Winona walking alont the track saw Mr. McAdams about a half mile below the town on the brink of the river, wandering aimlesly, his face covered with dried blood, and his hair matted with gore. McAdams was induced to return with his discoverer to Winona, but was evidently out of his head and could not give account of himself. Mrs. McAdams was sent for and the injured man put to bed.

After being bathed, his wounds dressed and nourishment given him, McAdams recovered consciousness sufficiently to state that he remembered walking down the track past the water tank, and that he passed two rough-looking men and then he remembers no more.

At the point, where from his description the assault was committed, the track is graded up on the steep hillside, the river runing twenty feet below at the foot of the hill.

From the appearance of things McAdams was struck with a sharp stone behind the right ear, where a deep gash was found. The blow must have rendered him unconcious and he fell, his assailants must then have searched him and taking his bundles of groceries and what odd change he had in his pockets, rolled him over the embankment, supposing they had killed him.


F.E. Marler lost his hand in a sausage mill Monday morning and only for the presence of mind of O.V. Bryson, the man might have lost his arm. Mr. Bryson called at the shop to discuss a business proposition with Mr. Marler. The two men had just ompleted the onversation and Mr. Bryson had turned to leave the back room when he heard Mr. Marler’s cry of pain. He took in the situation instantly and threw all his attempt to throw it off the pulley and as he did so, it gave Mr. Marler a chance to pull his hand out of the machine.

His fingers had been cut off and his hand ground to shreds. The man was suffering with intense pains and he ran out the front door of the Cold Storage Market, where he was grabbed by men who rushed him to the hospital at the same time as did the injured man and in a few moments, had the injured man under control. An examination disclosed the necessity of removing the shredded hand at the wrist and the amputation took place Monday morning.

100 years ago

The Colfax Commoner

August 13, 1920

W.A. Hale and Fred Christian were severely injured in a runaway which occurred on the Geo. Hale ranch at Diamond Saturday morning. The two men were in a header box when the team ran away and when the team charged against the wire fence the two men were thrown out and severely cut about the head and neck.

They were at once brought to the hospital where their wounds were dressed and they will be in the hospital for several days before they will be able to leave again for the ranch. Both of the injured men are young men and their recovery is expected to be rapid.

25 Years Ago

Whitman County Gazette

August 24, 1995

The Eastern Washington Growth Management Hearings Board has ruled that Whitman County was in compliance with the requirements for the designation of wetlands.

When the Whitman County commissioners adopted the wetlands act last year, it was immediately appealed by Victor and Roberta Moore of Pullman to the Eastern Washington board.

The county’s wetlands was prepared by the Wetland Advisory Committee. The committee, which was composed of some 29 individuals from around the county, spent over a year compiling the information necessary for claiming wetlands in Whitman County.

Moore’s challenge was based on the county’s exclusion of ag land in the act.

10 years ago

Whitman County Gazette

August 26, 2010

What could very well have been the last train to run on the state-owned railroad between Colfax and Pullman rolled out Wednesday morning.

The Washington & Idaho Railway pulled out a string of multi-use railroad cars that have been stored on the track for the past four years.

The stored cars have slowly been disappearing over the past two months.

The W&I began storing the cars on the line when the economy began to hit the tank and the cars were not needed. Since then, the economy has seen a bit of a rebound and the scrap value for the iron has seen a sharp rise.

Storage of railroad cars has been the only use of the line between Colfax and Pullman since a fire that swept through the South Palouse River valley in August of 2006, destroying a trestle over the river and severing the rail link three miles east of Colfax.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020