Family presses for bill to abolish hazing
January 20, 2022
OLYMPIA — Washington State University freshman Sam Martinez was found dead from alcohol poisoning following a fraternity house hazing tradition just weeks into the 2019 school year.
His mother is pressing for rules that would prevent future tragedies. She said her goal, since her son’s death, has been to “try and save a life for the one that was taken from us two years ago.”
Rep. Mari Leavitt, D-Tacoma, said approximately 100 deaths associated with hazing occurred in the U.S since 2000.
Washington established legislation prohibiting hazing in higher education in 1993, and currently...