Johnson, Albion parades canceled for Fourth
June 11, 2020
The Johnson Fourth of July Parade has been canceled.
For the first time since the impromptu event began with a group of Druffel siblings in 1967, there will be no parade – which has grown to attract thousands of spectators to the route from the Grange Hall past a row of houses to the old Johnson-Union Warehouse.
“For health reasons, it's just not a safe thing to be responsible for,” said Kathy Wolf, one of the original siblings.
Family members talked with Johnson residents and Whitman County Sheriff Brett Myers in April about cancellation. A decision was made to wait until June, in case further COVID-19 virus restrictions were lifted.
The Pullman Fire Department has also cancelled its annual breakfast before the parade.
“We hope everyone safely celebrates the holiday with family and friends,” Wolf said. “We're hoping for a bigger and better parade next year.”
The annual Albion parade on the Fourth has also been canceled, with town officials citing statewide restrictions not allowing gatherings of 50 or more.
The City of Pullman has previously announced the cancellation of Sunnyside Park Fourth of July events. Pullman will continue its firework show – from an undisclosed location, in order to dissuade crowds from gathering.