Whitman County Gazette - Serving Whitman County since 1877

Daily Bulletin 

County chase ends in surrender

Garfield man booked into county jail on multiple charges, warrants


GARFIELD — A local man was booked into Whitman County Jail on Monday afternoon for eluding, driving with a suspended license and three warrants.

Andrew Arland, 34, of Garfield, turned himself into deputies after several hours of eluding law enforcement on dirt roads on the east side of the county.

The chase began about 11 a.m. when Garfield Town Marshal Joe Handley observed Arland driving a Toyota Tercel with a dented hood in town, a report said.

Aware that Arland was wanted on multiple warrants and he had a suspended license, Handley pulled him over south of Garfield along state Highway 27, the report said.

When Handley exited the patrol car, Arland drove away, rapidly accelerating to 80 mph, according to the arrest report. Handley observed Arland turn onto Altergot Road.

Knowing Arland had family on state Highway 272 on the other side of Altergot, Handley attempted to get ahead of Arland by going to the intersection of that highway and Altergot Road, the report said. Arland never appeared and other responding officers were unable to locate him.

Workers from Whitman County Road Department informed dispatch that they had seen the vehicle on Blair Road and then Clear Creek Road to state Highway 27, the report said.

One pursuing deputy observed deep skid marks on Viola Road after losing sight of him, but was not able to locate Arland, the report said.

Other reports came in of the vehicle heading toward Wheelen Road.

In the report, Handley said Arland's course was in the direction of an ex-girlfriend's house. Believing Arland was going there, Handley contacted the ex-girlfriend who was allegedly elusive when questioned.

With no further sightings or information on Arland's whereabouts, the pursuit was called off, the report said.

Latah County was contacted when it was believed Arland had headed that way, the report said.

But at about 1:45 p.m., Arland called 911 and turned himself in.

He was arrested by Washington State University police on Kitzmiller Road for felony eluding and driving with a suspended license. According to the report, he told dispatchers he had ditched his car.

During booking, Arland apologized to Handley and said he should have just pulled over, according to the arrest report.

He is being held without bail through Whitman County Superior Court.

The Whitman County Sheriff's Office, state Department of Fish and Wildlife, WSU police and Palouse Police were involved in the attempt to apprehend Arland, the report said.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 05/22/2020 11:16